* Peerless Block & Brick Co. has hired Steve Platz as its new company president. Platz joins the St. Albans-based company from Triana Energy LLC, where he served as vice president of finance. He has 25 years of experience in finance and private equity and was a co-founder and former chief financial offer at Vested Health LLC.
* West Virginia Trucking Association President Jan Vineyard has been named West Virginia Highway Safety Professional of the Year by the Governor's Highway Safety Program.
Vineyard received the award for her involvement in advocating for legislation to make West Virginia's seatbelt laws a primary offense. The proposal had failed to pass several years in a row, but was passed into law during this year's legislative session.
* Silverstein & Maddox Insurance President Timothy Maddox received Erie Insurance's F.W. Hirt Quality Agency Award during Erie's 2013 West Virginia Branch Meeting. The award recognizes the Charleston-based insurance agency as Erie's top agency in the state for 2013.
Terry Cavanaugh, Erie president and CEO, and John Kerns, executive vice president of sales and marketing, presented Maddox with the award.
* Rob Alsop has been hired at the Charleston office of regional law firm Bowles Rice LLC. The former chief of staff to Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin will begin work with the firm's Commercial and Financial Practice Group and Government Relations Team on June 13.
Bowles Rice managing partner Tom Heywood said Alsop's years of experience dealing with state budget and policy matters will be a strategic benefit to the firm's energy, health care, regulatory, environmental, and tax divisions.
* Trigg Salsbery has joined the law firm of Bailey & Wyant, PLLC as an Of Counsel in the firm's Charleston Office. Salsbery previously worked at the Frost Brown Todd firm, where he handled a myriad of cases in trials and appeals before state and federal courts.
In his new position, Salsbery plans to focus in several areas, including coal, oil and natural gas law, products liability, personal injury and medical malpractice.
COMPILED BY JARED HUNT