Get Connected
  • facebook
  • twitter
Print

Bill Maloney says TV station pulled Democrat-funded ad

By From staff reports

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Maloney's campaign said at least one TV station has pulled a Democrat-funded ad off the air following complaints the ad was misleading.

The ad, paid for by a group backed by the Democratic Governors Association, hit Maloney for avoiding West Virginia taxes, among other things.

"WOAY, the ABC-affiliate in southern West Virginia, took the negative ad down after it was demonstrated that the ad contained multiple lies attacking Bill Maloney," the Maloney campaign said in a statement Thursday evening.

The ad resembles one airing now that is paid for by Democrat Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin. The line of attack was also used against Maloney in last year's special gubernatorial election, which Tomblin then won.

The ads hit Maloney, the founder of a drilling company in Morgantown, for, among other things, being a New York native before he moved to West Virginia and spent his life in the drilling business.

The new DGA ad hits Maloney for incorporating a company in Delaware. Basing a company in Delaware is commonly done to take advantage of that state's business-friendly tax and legal system.

Companies that are incorporated in Delaware but operate in other states can use that arrangement to reduce their tax burden.

But Maloney said the company paid nearly $1 million in West Virginia taxes from 2003 to 2006, which is the year he sold the company. He said last year, when this line of attack first emerged, that the only thing he had paid to Delaware was a minimal registration fee and that he had not used that state to duck West Virginia taxes.

State Republicans have been attacking Democrats for questionable election tactics, including a recent robocall by the West Virginia Democratic Party that could have violated federal communications law by failing to identify the party as the makers of the call.

Democratic Party executive director Derek Scarbro said Thursday the party would continue making calls but he said future robocalls would make clear the party is responsible for the calls.


Print

User Comments