But the contract was not formally awarded until about two months later. By DHHR's own account, the marketing contract was not awarded until July 19.
DHHR did not comment specifically on the allegations from Perry and Taylor.
Will Jones, an assistant attorney general who has been assigned to work at DHHR, said he could not comment on the suits because they are pending legal matters.
Asked if he had to deal with errors or failures within DHHR's purchasing office, Jones said, "Since I've been over here, no I haven't."
Tomblin staff alerted
The issue came to the attention of Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin's senior staff.
In early July, deputy chief of staff Erica Mani wanted to know more about the contract.
On Tuesday, July 10, Taylor told Mani she was worried about the scoring process, according to the suits.
Mani told Taylor that the Governor's Office had concerns if DHHR's lawyers did.
But then those concerns evaporated. In a later conversation that evening, Mani told Taylor the Governor's Office did not want to get involved. Mani canceled their plan to meet the next day.
According to the suits, Mani said she had talked to David Tincher, the head of the state's Division of Purchasing. Tincher said the division assumed the award was OK, but he would be glad to meet with Taylor.
During the same conversations, Mani told Taylor that the existing marketing contract with The Arnold Agency would be extended.
This appears to contradict a key part of DHHR's search warrant, which accuses Law, Taylor and Perry of unlawfully interfering with the process and causing The Arnold Agency to get a 30-day contract extension this summer.
After Mani canceled the meeting, Taylor and Perry turned to Fucillo.
But during this key moment in the chain of events, Fucillo was absent or uninterested, according to the suits.
On Wednesday, July 11, Fucillo was not in the Charleston office, according to the suits.
Perry and Taylor tried to talk with Fucillo on Thursday, July 12. But Fucillo said he would discuss the contract with them the next morning during a scheduled conference call.
Fucillo called in from Fairmont on Friday, July 13. The Tomblin administration apparently assented to Fucillo's flexible schedule, which formerly allowed him to work part of the time from near his home in Clarksburg and be compensated for commuting to Charleston. That arrangement has since ended.
At any rate, during the July 13 call, Fucillo never asked Perry or Taylor about their concerns with the contract, according to the suits. Instead, Fucillo said they would talk further on July 16, a Monday.
Working from home
On July 16, Taylor and Perry were placed on administrative leave, barred from their offices and escorted out of a DHHR building in downtown Charleston. Since then, they haven't been allowed to check their work emails, and their work cellphone and laptops have been confiscated, the suits say.
And yet they are assigned work to do from home or are to remain "on call" eight hours a day.
Law is also on leave from the agency, but he did not file a whistleblower suit.
Tomblin told the Daily Mail editorial board last week that the three on leave were working from home. He has urged an expeditious resolution to the situation, but it is unclear what he or his office has done to resolve the situation.
Republican challenger Bill Maloney's campaign quickly released a statement Tuesday calling for Democrat Tomblin to show some leadership.
"It's unfortunate that Earl Ray Tomblin managed our state so poorly that our own state employees must resort to legal action when they perceive corruption or improper behavior by Tomblin's team," Maloney said.