Under the new system, students' observed growth is also measured, and weighted against an amount of growth that is defined as adequate.
"Every student must be improving, whether they're a high-performing or low-performing student," Phares said.
Officials say that trend data indicates that students at all grade levels are improving in all subjects -- but State Superintendent of Schools Jim Phares said "those improvements are too small."
Of the 133,000 students tested last year, 46 percent were proficient in math. Results showed disparities between average students and their peers in specially identified subgroups though: only 33 percent of African-American students were proficient in math, 39 percent of students from homes with low socioeconomic status and 20 percent of special education students.
In reading, 49 percent of all students were proficient -- 39 percent of African-American students, 41 percent of low socioeconomic status students and 17 percent of special education students.
The same data show that fewer students met the proficiency mark in 2013 than in 2012.
Of the 47 percent of students who were proficient in math, only 64 percent are keeping up with growth expectations -- the other 36 percent can be expected to fall behind their peers in coming years.
Among students who did not test proficient in math, 27 percent are on track to catch up to their peers within the next three years -- the other 73 percent are not showing growth that indicates they will do so.
In reading, 70 percent of the students who scored proficient are keeping up with growth expectations, and 30 percent seem to be on track to fall behind. Among those who were not proficient this year, 32 percent are catching up with their peers' growth levels, while the other 68 percent are not.
The system also takes into account growth on the school level -- even when a school is given "success" status, it must continue to improve each year to maintain that ranking.
The new accountability system will work in tandem with a new accreditation system that is currently being developed by the Office of Education Performance Audits.
That system will take test scores into account, as evaluated by the state's new system, and will also look at the total operation of each school.
Gus Penix, director of the Office of Education Performance Audits, said that the two systems can "work in concert to leverage improved student performance and to improve the quality of school operations and learning conditions."Beginning with the 2014-15 school year officials will begin an on-site review process in all West Virginia schools.
Contact writer Shay Maunz at shay.ma...@dailymail.com or 304-348-4886.