Medical institute to host diabetes education classes
The West Virginia Medical Institute will provide free diabetes classes for people in 10 counties.
Part of the "Everyone with Diabetes Counts" program, classes are open to Medicare recipients, their families and caregivers.
Classes will instruct on topics like nutrition, exercise and important tests.
Class schedules are as follows:
* Boone County -- 1 p.m. Nov. 12, 19 and 26 at the Barrett-Wharton Library in Wharton.
* Greenbrier County will have three events -- 10 to 11:30 a.m. Nov. 6 and 13 at Eastern Greenbrier County Committee on Aging at the Ronceverte Senior Center, 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 7 and 14 and Dec. 5 and 12 at Greenbrier Valley Medical Center Annex I in Ronceverte, and 10 to 11:30 a.m. Nov. 12 and 26, and Dec. 10 at the Greenbrier County Committee on Aging at the Rupert Community Senior Center.
* Jackson County will hold two separate events -- 5 to 7 p.m. Nov. 4 and 11 at the River Valley Health Center in Ravenswood and 2 to 4 p.m. Nov. 1 and 8, and 1 to 3 p.m. Nov. 15, at Salt Hill Church in Ripley.
* Kanawha County -- 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 1 and 4 at the Hansford Senior Center in St. Albans.
* Logan County will hold three events -- 3 p.m. every Thursday at Logan Regional Medical Center's education building, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Nov. 5 and 12 at Chapmanville Towers, and 11:30 a.m. Nov. 7 and 14 at the Pride Community Services Senior Nutrition Program in Logan.
* Mason County -- 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Nov. 4 at River Bend Place in New Haven.
* McDowell County -- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 7, 12 and 21 at Big Creek People in Action in War.
* Nicholas County -- 10 a.m. to noon every Friday at the Summersville Regional Medical Center's outpatient clinic.
* Raleigh County will have two events -- 1 p.m. Nov. 1 at Greystone Villages Senior Living Community in Beaver and 1 to 2:30 p.m. Nov. 6, 13 and 20 at the United Mine Workers' in Beckley.
* Wirt County -- 5:30 to 7 p.m. Nov. 11, 15 and 18 at the Copeland Memorial Community Health Center in Elizabeth. For information or to register, call 855-376-9382.