CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Kanawha County communities are hosting parades and community events in observance of the Christmas holiday. Most municipality-hosted events are scheduled this weekend or next weekend.
Below is a breakdown of those parades and events:
* Dunbar has postponed its Christmas parade that had been set for 7 p.m. Friday. The town stated its desire to keep community members safe and out of the bad weather predicted for the evening.
It has been rescheduled for 7 p.m. Dec. 13. Line up will begin at 6 p.m. at the foot of the Dunbar Toll Bridge.* St. Albans will hold its tree lighting at 6:30 p.m. at city hall on MacCorkle Avenue. Scouts, carolers and some World War II veterans are expected to attend.
* Charleston's Christmas Parade will kick off at 11 a.m. and parade coordinator Marie Perdue said there are 94 entries.
The parade will begin in front of Charleston Town Center on Court Street. The route will first head south on Court Street to Virginia Street, east to Capitol Street, and then north to Washington Street.
Street closures along the route and other downtown streets will begin at 9:45 a.m. and will continue until the parade ends.
After the parade, the American Legion John Brawley Post 20 in Charleston will hold a Pearl Harbor Day remembrance ceremony at 12:30 p.m. at the Lee Street Triangle.
* Led by parade marshal Maxine Korb, the East Bank Christmas parade will begin at 1 p.m. at Elm Street and 1st Avenue, and will continue west on 1st Avenue to East Bank Middle School.
Refreshments will be at the school, and Santa will make an appearance.
* The town of Handley's annual Christmas dinner begins at 1 p.m. at the Handley Community Center. The town's women's club will provide the meal.
* St. Albans' parade also begins at 1 p.m. It will begin at the intersection of 6th Avenue and Park Street, and will continue down 6th Avenue to 3rd Street. At that point, it will turn north on 3rd Street and then west onto Main Street and Olde Main Plaza. The parade will then disburse.
Organizer Patty Swango said there are 53 entries so far, and that entries will still be accepted up to, and including, the day of the parade. Entries cannot be political in nature, nor can entries have their own Santa Claus.
* Montgomery's Christmas parade has been moved to 7 p.m. Saturday to avoid weather conflicts.
The parade will begin at the Montgomery Fire Department and will proceed on 3rd Avenue to the Go-Mart.
* Belle's parade begins shortly after lineup at 6 p.m.. The parade route will begin at Occidental Chemical, just north of town, and will follow DuPont Avenue south to Walker Machinery.