Education officials are resting assured that the state's schools are prepared for the worst, even after the shooting Monday at the historic Washington Navy Yard.
Officials have long been focused on school safety, especially since the school shootings in Newtown, Conn. earlier this year.
The School Building Authority, the state agency that oversees school building projects across the state, approved new standards for the state's school buildings that aim to make the schools better equipped to handle emergency situations - all new schools will have shatter-resistant glass on the front doors, "man traps" at the entrances and a remote entry system, among other things.
The authority is also working to incorporate those features in schools that are currently under construction.
"I think in the world we live in we have to be ever vigilant in providing the safest schools we can for the state of West Virginia, and in the United States," Executive Director Mark Manchin said Monday.
In February Booth Goodwin, United States Attorney for West Virginia's Southern District, held a summit on school safety. And in June he released a plan to keep the state's schools safe.
Recommendations included everything from improvements to entry systems to emergency buttons to summon police to an anti-bullying program in every school.
At the time, Goodwin said officials needed to look at their success in preventing injuries or deaths by fire in schools, and "have that same vigor with school violence."
A number of his recommendations are already being pursued, by the state or by county school systems.
In Kanawha County, for example, all schools are already equipped with a remote entry system. And last month, the county and the sheriff's department renewed their efforts to have law enforcement officials make regular visits to all of the county's schools,
Contact writer Shay Maunz at shay.ma...@dailymail.com or 304-348-4886.