CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- St. Albans City Council members voted unanimously to adopt an ordinance amending the mayor's salary after a public hearing Monday night.
The salary will increase from $40,000 annually to $54,000. The city of St. Albans pays 60 percent. The Municipal Utilities Commission pays the other 40 percent.
MUC can also choose to contract with the mayor as part of his mayoral duties for an additional $12,000 per year. In this case, the mayor would also carry out managerial duties in addition to serving as the figurehead of the MUC board.
The salary increase will go into effect when the new mayor takes office after the June 1, 2013, general election.
Mayor Dick Callaway also reported to City Council that the Department of Highways Traffic Engineering Division is set to do a study to decide if a left turn will be prohibited from Spruce Street on to U.S. 60.
The city requested the state prohibit left turns at this intersection on Nov. 13, 2012. The city is now waiting for the DOH to complete a 60-day study.
Callaway said the study would include a review of the intersection crash history, a physical review of the intersection itself, with emphasis on sight distance.
"Then they will advise us as to the findings necessary, in their professional opinion," Callaway said.
Several council members expressed that they would like to see a left turn signal installed at this intersection, but Callaway said the city "cannot supercede what the state lays out."
The DOH will determine whether left turns should be prohibited there.
Callaway also introduced Tim Sheldon for consideration for re-appointment as the city's MUC Board Commissioner.
Sheldon has served for four years. If re-appointed, he would serve as commissioner of the MUC Board until Dec. 19, 2016. City Council will decide whether to confirm the appointment on Jan. 7.
Members of Boy Scout Troop 146 attended Monday night's meeting to fulfill rank requirements or to obtain their Communications Merit Badge.
Scout Devan Lamb said he thought the meeting was interesting and he enjoyed it.
"I learned a little bit about how the government works in St. Albans and about what peoples' ideas are," Lamb said.
Callaway commended the Boy Scouts for being a great program, saying, "I'm just glad to see we have an active Scout troop in our community."
Troop leader Dennis Hanshaw and assistant troop leader Mike Lamb accompanied the Scouts.