CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A St. Albans firefighter narrowly escaped serious injury while fighting a house fire at 1048 College Circle.
Mayor Dick Callaway said no one was home when fire broke out at the two-story home shortly before 10 p.m. Monday.
"Two firemen were searching the second floor when a section of the floor gave way," Callaway said. "One fireman fell through the floor but the fireman with him grabbed him by the arm and pulled him up before he fell all of the way through.
"It was a close call."
The firefighter who fell dislocated his shoulder. "They popped it back in place and took him to a local hospital, where he was released at about 3:30 this morning," Callaway said Tuesday.
"According to investigators, there was a wiring problem within the house that seems to be the genesis of the fire," Callaway said.
An investigation is continuing. "The house was pretty much destroyed," he said.