A South Hills home was destroyed by fire Tuesday morning but the resident escaped the blaze, authorities said today.
Firefighters responded to a blaze at 1210 Ashwood Road at 6 a.m. Tuesday, a Kanawha County dispatcher said.
"It was a fully involved fire," the dispatcher said.
Capt. Chris Cooper, of the Charleston Fire Department, said the house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene.
He said the resident made it out of the house with a slight burn on his head. However, his dog perished in the blaze, he said.
Investigators believe the fire began in the kitchen, he said.He did not know the name of the resident.