ST. ALBANS, W.Va. -- St. Albans City Council has accepted the resignation of Ward 5 Councilman Dan Cain Sr.
Cain's resignation is effective Dec. 31. Mayor Dick Callaway read Cain's resignation letter during the council meeting Monday evening. Cain's letter did not give a reason for his action.
Cain, of 1901 Lincoln Ave. is a member of the Citizens Party. He was re-elected unopposed in June.
Callaway said the party is supposed to submit three nominees to replace Cain. Council could submit additional nominees from the floor. All of the nominees would have an opportunity to address council, and council would then vote on a successor.
"The problem is, the party is not active," Callaway said. What probably will happen is council will submit nominations, all nominees all have an opportunity to address council, and council will choose a successor, he said.
Also at Monday's meeting, council gave preliminary approval to the re-subdivision of part of a lot that is being purchased by Gateway Church.
Callaway said the re-subdivision would help the church gain access to repair its parking lot, where a slip has occurred. The church plans to buy the property from Denver Davis.
Council members also:
* Re-appointed Austin Duckworth to the Zoning Board of Appeals, on Callaway's recommendation. Duckworth's term will expire on Jan. 1, 2017.
* Gave final approval to ordinances that restrict parking on the west side of Skinner Drive, set a 20 miles-per-hour speed limit on Skinner Drive, and set a 15 miles-per-hour speed limit on Cowl Drive. The city recently adopted the streets.
* Agreed to pay Charleston Area Tree Service of South Charleston $5,400 for riverbank clearing.
* Approved the payment of current invoices, which total $17,820.
During announcements, Callaway noted that:
* City offices will be closed Dec. 24-25 for the Christmas holiday and Jan. 1 for the New Year's holiday.
* The Festival of Lights in City Park continues 6 to 9 p.m. nightly through Dec. 23. The festival will be closed Dec. 24 and Dec. 25. The last night will be Dec. 26.
* City council's next meeting will be at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 6 in the council's chambers on the second floor of the city building at 51 Sixth Ave.