"Among its general conclusions is the need to drive more educational decision-making down to the level closest to the students, to the classroom and building level - allowing principals to lead and teachers to deliver the most effective curriculum for their students - and then holding them accountable for student success."
It calls for the state board to provide the education oversight commission with a report for how this can be accomplished while increasing student achievement, along with any recommended changes in law that need to happen in order to reach this goal. The report is due by Nov. 1.
The bill also devotes more money to technology, Poling said.
Friday the House passed a measure that calls for school counselors to spend 90 percent of their time working with "at-risk" and other students. Right now code calls for 75 percent of a counselor's time go toward working with students, with the remaining 25 percent spent on administrative work.
"What we're finding out is sometimes counselors don't want to deal with at-risk kids. They push them aside," said House Finance Committee chairman Harry Keith White, D-Mingo.
In discussions about the bill last week, White said someone from the department advocated against passing the measure. White called it "shocking" and referenced the audit in saying there could be too much administrative control in Charleston.
Bill sponsor Jeff Eldridge, D-Lincoln, thinks the measure is more about making sure counselors have the chance to really get to know students.
Eldridge fought back tears as he gave his first floor speech of the session Friday: when he was young, he grew up in a "broken home." He was in trouble all the time. Yet he didn't ever get the chance to speak with a counselor until his senior year of high school, when he started thinking about college.
"For some kids, they need someone that will sit down and listen to them. Someone that will spend some time with them, instead of being sent to the dean all the time," said Eldridge, who has advanced degrees in counseling and social work from Marshall University.
The measure passed by a margin of 93-4, with three members absent or not voting. Poling pointed out there is a different bill that would provide money for more counselors, but probably won't pass because of the financial requirements.
There are three education-related bills set for final approval in the House today. House Bill 2940 calls for every superintendent and school board member at every county within a Regional Educational Service Agency to meet every two years. The purpose of the meeting is to look for services or purchases the counties can share.
There are also bills addressing legislative rules for higher education and dropout prevention efforts in Monroe and Nicholas counties.