Thank you, readers. For 51 years, you have been very, very generous in your support of the Daily Mail's Neediest Cases Appeal, contributing $4,033,507.26 over the years, including $138,107.97 last year.
Every penny of that more than $4 million has gone to filling the needs of those whose stories are published in the Daily Mail over the holiday season as well as to hundreds of other cases than cannot be published.
This year's cases include:
- A Supplemental Security Income recipient now takes care of a baby removed from the home of a relative by Child Protective Services. The woman needs basic baby items such as diapers and clothes so she can handle this emergency situation.
- A retired couple on Social Security is now caring for three grandchildren. The family needs need bedding, a wood and coal stove, and a refrigerator. He just suffered a stroke.
- A mother of two who has a job with a small income has dentures that have broken many times. She has superglued them but they no longer fit her mouth. She needs a new set.
- A woman with children ages 2 and 4 is trying to make it on her own. She needs a couch, a twin bed, a mattress, a dress, lamps and curtains.
These are needs government programs cannot meet. But readers can and have and will.
AMERICANS have just engaged in a lengthy
argument over which direction the nation should take. But even those of us on the side that fell a few million votes short of a majority nationally must agree that today is a day to thank providence once again for the privilege of being Americans.
Our blessings are many. Let us count them.
- 64.3 million people volunteered to work with at least one organization last year, giving the nation a volunteer rate of 26.8 percent.
- 143 million people had jobs in October, giving the nation an employment rate of 92.1 percent.
- 61 percent of workers reported that they were satisfied with their jobs overall, according to a poll by CareerBuilder.com.
- 72 percent are satisfied with their personal financial situations, according to the Pew Research Center.
We have a great nation that is built on rights endowed to us by our creator. Among these rights are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.