* The IRS issued more than $11 billion in faulty refunds through the Earned Income Tax Credit last year, the inspector general reported.
* The IRS paid $1.1 million for almost 14,000 aircards and 745 Blackberries that weren't used for at least three straight months.
* The IRS overpaid more than $13 billion in low-income tax credits.
* The agency's video production unit is reported to cost $4 million a year.
* The Wall Street Journal reported in February 2012 that the IRS was offering as much as $15 million for public relations help.
The IRS Oversight Board, in its report to Congress on 2012 said that "Further budget cuts could potentially erode the agency's ability to collect revenue to fund essential government programs."
The board chairman said further economies could have "serious repercussions for our nation, the economy, and the integrity of our tax system."