With the election behind us, it's a good time to take a look, in no particular order, at some of the emerging political figures who were on the ballot:
On the way up:
* Doug Skaff. The Kanawha County Democratic delegate led the ticket in his district in each of the last three elections.
Skaff established himself as the de-facto leader of the Kanawha County delegation when he negotiated a break-up of the old 30th district during redistricting.
* Erikka Storch. A moderate Republican Delegate from Ohio County who is the chief financial officer of a steel company, but also has the backing of labor.
She has led the ticket in her district the last two elections.
* Eric Nelson. Another moderate Republican, Nelson won his second term in the House of Delegates in Kanawha County. Nelson is a successful businessman whose father served briefly in the Legislature.
One political observer says Nelson is "young, likes politics and has ambition."
* Democrat Josh Stowers. was the ticket leader in the 22nd delegate district (Lincoln, Logan, Boone, Putnam) to win his third term.
Stowers brings youth and enthusiasm from a part of the state that needs fresh faces in politics.
* Doug Reynolds. Democratic leaders believe this Huntington attorney has statewide potential.
Reynolds led the ticket in his district and was re-elected to his fourth term.