Before the first ton of coal was mined and before the first coal-fired power plant was built, North America was water from the Appalachians to the Rockies and from the Gulf of Mexico to the Hudson Bay.
There is a beach in South Carolina 150 feet above the Atlantic Ocean. There is a coral reef on top of Cuba. The Sand Hills in Texas were islands.
The United States represents 6 percent of the world's population. Does it really matter what the U.S. burns when the other 94 percent of the world is burning coal?
There is something more at play than coal in climate change.
Climate change will continue with or without coal.
Lawrence B. Lyon Jr.