- At the corner of Elmore and Woodbine avenues, there is a hedge that is blocking the view of traffic coming both ways. There is going to be a wreck. Whoever the owner is should look into this matter.
- The person who said other news networks eventually get to reporting what Fox News has been investigating omitted the fact that Fox News almost never investigates Republican wrongdoing. And, brother, there is a lot of it.
- The pepperoni roll originated in West Virginia coal mining communities as a lunch bucket staple for coal miners. It is a food enjoyed by young and old. The faces of school kids light up with joy when they discover that pepperoni rolls are on the day's lunch menu. Anyone who doesn't appreciate the pepperoni roll needs to come out of the backwoods!
- Guantanamo prison has 166 detainees and costs us $150 million a year to operate. That alone should force the government to close it. The $900,000 per detainee per year is far more excessive than any other maximum-security prison.
- I recently saw a State Police car and St. Albans Police car with expired inspection stickers. What's up with that?
- Without Oliver Luck, WVU would be playing in the American Athletic Conference against Tulane and Temple. I consider him a savior for WVU fans everywhere.
- I live for a day when this country stops fighting. The Democrats blame Bush, and the Republicans blame Obama. Why can't we all agree that neither have been any good for us and maybe it's time for a new direction?
- Requiring students and employees with Kanawha Schools to obtain a doctor's excuse is overtaxing the already overbooked doctor's office and enabling unnecessary exposure to airborne illnesses. This seems ridiculous when they have untreatable conditions such as simple colds. The doctor will prescribe bed rest nearly every single time. You cannot convince me that everyone feels well every single day, including the school board members.
- How would Duke Bloom know anything about what goes on at 10 p.m. out in the real world? Has he ever worked at 10 o'clock at night? Doubt it. Once again, he is sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. Maybe he should just keep worrying about jailing parents when their child misses five days of school? He seems pretty good at that.
- Why is Huggins even considering giving a scholarship to a felon? If he cannot recruit any better than that, he needs to quit coaching.
- Remember, concerning the killing of various civilians by Middle East countries, that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
- Those of us intelligent enough to realize that the Iraq war was a strategic disaster are not spitting on the graves of the 4,500 dead American servicemen. We are spitting on George W. Bush for putting them in their graves for no reason.
- As requested, this Democrat did some thinking, and I conclude that using Air Force One to fly four people four or five times a year to vacation spots is cheaper than using Air Force One to fly two people from Washington, D.C., to Texas 50 times per year. I hope this adds to your understanding and does not subtract from our friendly discussion because if this divides us, it will multiply our problems.
- Mayor Callaway, please get the camper trailer off the street at the 2400 block of McKinley Avenue.
- Last week during a coffee break, the subject of Benghazi was brought up. A grown adult coworker responded with, "I don't know anything about the guy." Perfect example of why our country is in the mess it's in today.
- I hope when they blow the lid off Benghazi secrets, the news media will wake up and demand more information on all the other Obama-sealed information.
- How can someone who's so full of baloney be against bologna? Good grief.
- Have you noticed that both Tomblin and Manchin have never seen a camera they didn't like?
- When I hire new employees, they must prove their legal ability to work in the U.S. I don't see where there would be the problem of illegal immigrants working if the government enforced the existing laws. We also wouldn't need a new background law for firearms if the existing laws were enforced. We don't need new laws, just enforce the ones we have.
- If you think being gay is a "lifestyle," ask yourself this question: Can you choose who you are attracted to? I sure can't.
- Concerning George W. Bush attending Yale and being governor of Texas: It was because his last name was Bush. Had his last name been Smith or Jones, the only communication we would have ever had with him would be when he asked, "Want fries with that?"
- How do gun nuts make the leap from background checks to gun confiscation? Does the NRA do their thinking for them? Anyone with any sense knows that will never happen in this country. Use your head for something other than a hat rack.
- Let me see if I have this correct: As someone so aptly stated, "you sit in your office," you allow only religiously biased sexual presenters in your schools, you condone an administrator threatening students, and they give you a raise so you collect $175,000 a year? You must be a nice guy.
- You ever notice that the people telling teenagers to "just say no" when it comes to sex are older people? It's easy for those with lower sex drives to "say no." Surely they can remember how it was when they were young.
- I see where the "GOP is shifting its focus to Hillary." Would someone please tell them their job is to help others in Congress pass bills for the good of the country, not adversary bashing?
- When it comes to eliminating a tax loophole for the top 1 percent, the Republicans stand like the Rock of Gibraltar against it, but when it comes to eliminating a tax loophole for the middle class (sales tax on Internet purchases), they bend like a wet noodle.
Monday May 20, 2013
Your vents: Monday, May 20, 2013