* Check your facts before calling the Vent Line. Truck weight limits have been 80,000 pounds for decades. Only recently they raised weight limits for coal trucks to 120,000 pounds on certain highways. That is actually lower than the 160-180,000 pounds they had been running illegally.
* My parents had eight children and never asked the government to contribute one red cent to their care. If one can't afford to procreate, well by jingo, don't do it.
* In response to the person who stated they did not want their tax money paying for a state employee reading at their desk: Get over it. A state employee is allowed to take a break every day from their job, just like the law allows you to do the same. Just because you pay our salary does not let you dictate how, when, or where I spend my breaks or lunch.
* The reason the IRS was in the wrong with their "investigations" is it gave tax-exempt status to liberal groups like Obama's illegal fundraising committee in a blink of an eye but was investigating conservative groups. That is illegal.
* Last month I predicted an attack on First Amendment rights would follow the attacks on the Second Amendment. People didn't agree. I wonder how they feel now after the AP and Fox News scandals have now been made public.
* I love Channel 8 news. In fact, it's the only local news I will watch. They tell about the immediate area and not the tri-state. Wish the bashers would quit bashing this station. You don't have to watch it.
* Charleston needs a tornado siren. We've had two here since 1991. What is the problem in not getting one installed?
* I firmly agree with the venter who wrote that "gone missing" is totally ridiculous-sounding. A person disappears.
* Sen. Rockefeller should quit worrying about the cruise ship problems (which affects a small percentage of Americans on ships that are of foreign registry) and start doing something about U.S. airlines. They continue to charge outrageous air fares (especially in and out of Charleston) and then nickel- and-dime passengers for checked luggage, five inches of extra leg room and anything else you can think possible while flying.
* If the tea party members are such patriots, where were they when George W. Bush and the GOP Congress made the greatest assault on our Civil Rights with the passage of the Patriot Act?
* Winfield is the county seat and as such has the Putnam County Sheriff's Department and the W.Va. State Police Detachment in the center of town. The present mayor and council have budgeted $370,950 for the police department, plus another $30,000 for the Juvenile Justice Diversion program. That's $400,950. If you're OK with that, then vote them back in office June 11. They will bill you later.
* The person who said their IQ was in the upper range and didn't understand why nine out of the 10 least educated states voted against President Obama makes an elementary mistake. He is confusing intelligence with education; they are not the same thing. Maybe he should retake his IQ test.
* I'm 82 years old and I need the paper delivered on my porch. They always leave it down the steps. When I go down to get it, I fall. I've called about this. Please do something about this because I enjoy taking the paper.
* Light pollution has been a problem for decades. We've got billboards, streetlights, dusk-to-dawn lights, and they all contribute to light pollution.