* Instead of fighting against each other in Washington, why aren't the bean counters going row by row through the proposed federal budget and snipping here and there? That is how you do it. You don't drown the baby when you are trying to give it a bath for heaven's sake!
* This is in reference to the church on the West Side of Charleston that houses 30 homeless men a night. It might have to shut down due to utility costs. Perhaps the utilities could donate some services to help them out.
* I think that bunch in Washington doesn't need to get their big checks while this is going on. They need to be working without pay.
* Isn't it funny that Congress wants a conference now, but for six months the Senate wanted to 18 different times and the Republican Congress refused? Obamacare is now the law.
* I'd like to respond to the vent about church people picking through the donations before they go on sale to the public. I would invite that person to come out and work with us for the two weeks we have to go through back-breaking work sorting through things like trash and dirty kitty litter. We don't take things. We buy them for the same price that anyone else would pay for them.
* When is the city going to do something about people putting their trash out on Sunday and it sits there all week until Friday's trash collection day? This happens all of the time on Frame Street.
* Does anyone know who to call to get our roads patched before winter? They are full of tire-bursting holes. This is on Legg Fork Road and Sigmon Fork Road. Please help us get someone to listen to us.
* Both my family doctor and my neurologist have told me Obamacare is a nightmare for patients and physicians alike. People should talk to their physicians about this nightmare law.
* In regard to the article in the paper about fourth-graders not reading proficiently or any other child in school: It is because the mother is more interested in men and drugs than in reading to their children or spending time with them.
* To the guy venting about fog lights: You apparently don't know that fog lights come on automatically on some vehicles when you turn them on. Get a life.
* Interesting how Boehner says the president is unwilling to negotiate when what that means is either scrap Obamacare or else.
* I just love it when I clean my car and drive to Charleston the next morning only to have road cleaners out before I have to time to get to work and ruin the car I just cleaned. Is that where my user fee is going? If Charleston has money to waste on something that is not badly needed, why can't they fix the potholes?
* I find it ironic that, concerning the Vietnam War, Jane Fonda has more time "in country" than George W. Bush.
* Members of the tea party are just gullible stooges of the right-wing billionaires who want to destroy our democracy. And since they don't read or investigate, they'll stay stooges for the Koch brothers and others, whose only interest is to make money. The people be damned.
* Is it a coincidence that the state representatives to Congress (the red ones) who have caused the federal government shutdown come from the ones who seem to have a reputation for being the most racially biased?
* Is it possible the president will have to resort to using smaller words (especially four-letter ones) if he wants to communicate (connect) with the Republicans?
* In reply to dogs barking on Frame Street: Dogs bark. It is what they do. If the neighborhood kids would quit teasing them, they would bark less. They help keep the thugs away from our homes. Quit being a hater and start being a dog lover.
* The Obama presidency a failure? You could not be more in error. He has saved us from the absolute disaster of the Bush years, and, if the Republicans, in their apparent desire to destroy their own party, worked just a little with him, we would be doing very well, indeed.
* The Daily Mail and the GOP can scream all they want, Obamacare is not going to be defunded by radical Republicans, and after only a day or two, it is wildly popular.
* I don't think that a mental evaluation should ever affect a convicted criminal's sentence or even if they are guilty or not guilty. All it should ever do is to determine how much of their sentence is spent in a mental institution and how much is spent in prison.
* With our state government already financing greyhound breeding, casinos and the lottery with our tax dollars, I guess making moonshine is the next logical step on the road to perdition.
* Well, so much for our no-talking-on-cell-phones-while-driving law and the inspection-sticker law. Why create laws that are not being enforced? If I can see the lawbreakers, you would think the police could.
* Blackmail by any other name still smells the same.
* Every day, I watch my mailman driving and delivering mail while on his cellphone. Are they exempt from state law?
* President Obama is being a bit slippery on the costs of health care coverage. Beware. Those who are answering the phones are on his side and not on the side of the average Joe.
* We the people need to take our country back from both the Democrats and Republicans and rebuild it and banish the politicians to another continent. They are the problem. We need to start over from the White House down.
* Mayor Callaway needs to resign. He is not concerned about the health of the citizens of St. Albans. Why weren't automated phone calls made announcing the boil water advisory? Why were the restaurants not closed in the city? It is frightening to think there is an advisory not to drink or bathe with the water, yet most residents didn't find out until two days after the fact.
* I wish they would put in the paper just exactly what the new levy will go for in plain English. I want to support the library but do not want to give any more to the school board. They waste more than the library uses in six months.
* The person who said he was 100 percent against Obamacare and there are better ways, is absolutely right. The better way is the one-payer system, but conservatives absolutely didn't want it, so you got what you got.
* Maybe the Republicans in Congress should think of doing something good for a change, like legalizing marijuana. Imagine all the people that would benefit — a great cash crop, taxable income for states, emptying out our jails and reducing headaches for law enforcement agencies.
* When you have a president who will not compromise (compromise is the art of politics), then you have a dictator. Plain and simple.
* The federal government has been "shut down" many times in the past and this country has survived with no problems. I support the House of Representatives in their efforts. The members of this elected body have a better handle on what the electorate wants than do the "elite" members of the Senate.
* Concerning my recent comments about Jane Fonda and the military deserter: How did anyone make the jump to my being disgusting and never serving in the military? Since I did serve in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War, I feel qualified to comment on the subject. When you cannot refute an argument, it's easier to retreat to name-calling.
* Just look around and see who will gain the most if Obamacare gets gutted, and you will see who is financing the federal government shutdown.
* Jessica Ralston will be missed on WSAZ. Bring back Penny Moss. She would be the perfect replacement.