Edmund Burke said: "There is no safety for honest men, but by believing all possible evil of evil men."
Evil men do not always snarl. Some smile charmingly.
Those are the most dangerous.
* If you don't think the mainstream media slants the news, keep track of how often they tell you that the Arctic ice pack is shrinking and how seldom they tell you that the Antarctic ice pack is expanding.
The latter news would not fit the "global warming" scenario that so many in the media are promoting.
* Someone has referred to Vice President Biden as President Obama's "impeachment insurance." Even critics who are totally opposed to Obama's policies do not want anything to cut short his presidency with Joe Biden as his successor.
* People who refuse to accept unpleasant truths have no right to complain about politicians who lie to them. What other kind of candidates would such people elect?
* Given the shortage of articulate Republican leaders, it will be a real loss - to the country, not just to the Republicans - if Sen. Marco Rubio discredits himself early in his career by supporting "comprehensive" immigration reform that amounts to just another amnesty, with false promises to secure the border.
* Ever since I learned, as a teenager, that the "Saturday Evening Post" magazine was actually published on Wednesday mornings, I have been very skeptical about words.
"Gun control" laws do not control guns, "rent control" laws do not control rent and government "stimulus" spending does not stimulate the economy.
* It is hard to think of two people with more different personalities than New York's Mayor Michael Bloomberg and President Barack Obama.
But they are soulmates when it comes to thinking that they ought to take a whole spectrum of decisions out of citizens' hands and impose the government's decisions on them.
* Maybe the reason for the New York Yankees' low batting averages has something to do with the fact that so many of their batters seem to be swinging for the fences even when a single would score the winning run.
* President Obama's denial of knowledge about the various scandals in his administration that are starting to come to light suggests that his titles should now include Innocent-Bystander-in-Chief.