JEMEZ PUEBLO, N.M. (AP) - Jemez Pueblo Gov. Joshua Madalena has banned sales of a twice-monthly newspaper on the reservation over what he calls its sensationalized coverage of a killing.
In a letter last week to the Jemez Thunder, Madalena wrote that the article's tone, "the level of gruesome detail and the incredibly sensationalized manner in which it was published was appalling."
The newspaper from nearby Jemez Springs, with a circulation of about 1,000, will no longer be sold within reservation boundaries because its failure to exercise restraint shows it's "out of touch with the community's perspective," Madalena wrote.
Leaders of Jemez Pueblo also banned trick-or-treating on Halloween this year, saying it's not part of the traditional pueblo's culture and it's a safety concern because of the small community's unlit roads.
The Jemez Thunder's seven-paragraph story by Robert Borden on the killing largely quotes an FBI criminal complaint filed in federal court.
Borden, who has published the newspaper since 1995 with his wife, Kathleen Wiegner, said Jemez Pueblo council members didn't like that he was "indelicate enough to actually run" graphic details from the complaint.
A 22-year-old Jemez Pueblo man, Lucas Toledo, faces a murder charge in the Sept. 29 death of a fellow tribal member, 21-year-old Matthew Panana. The criminal complaint alleges Toledo stabbed, slashed, beat, kicked and hit Panana, then disemboweled him.
Madalena told The Associated Press on Tuesday the close-knit community did not need to know the gruesome details and the newspaper should have come to pueblo leaders before doing a story.
"I understand there is freedom of the press, but understanding the ties that we have, I do not want to exploit and reopen the wounds that we are trying to heal, especially in those two families," Madalena said, referring to the families of the man killed and a second man charged.