If you love great locally sourced food, fine wine and good company - all enjoyed against a backdrop of sweeping views of West Virginia's rolling farmland - have I got a few ideas for you!
West Virginia's own farm-to-table ambassador, Chef Dale Hawkins, will start welcoming guests at a monthly farm dinner series as he turns his Upshur County Fish Hawk Acres into a living, breathing "dining room" for an evening of food, wine, conversation and agriculture education in Rock Cave.
When guests arrive at 5:30 p.m., they'll enjoy a glass of wine and appetizers before setting out for a guided farm tour that ends back at the harvest table with an al fresco dinner featuring gourmet food sourced from West Virginia growers.
Throughout the meal, you'll hear from the people who have grown, caught, raised and crafted the items spread out on the table before you - with live music filling the air in between.
How nice does that sound?
The new series kicks off May 18 with a special "Spring in Appalachia" dinner.
On the menu . . .
- Spring greens with chive blossoms and watermelon radish, pea sprouts, cucumber blossoms and watercress with roasted garlic vinaigrette
- Rustic semolina green garlic baguette with homestead butter
- Roasted lamb shoulder stuffed with Swiss chard and chorizo with poached asparagus and ramp bearnaise sauce
- Pan-seared West Virginia rainbow trout with fava beans and lemon basil pesto with English pea and mint risotto
- Ginger-rhubarb tart with double cream lemon curd and Mountain Roaster coffee
Tickets are $75 per person, and non-refundable reservations are accepted only via email at fishhawkac...@gmail.