Since opening on March 31, 2012, the Appomattox museum has welcomed 36,000 visitors from all 50 states and 31 countries, Lipscomb said.
If you go
Museum of the Confederacy-Appomattox
* Directions: The museum is 258 miles from Charleston - about a five-hour drive. Take I-64 to Clifton Forge, Va. Take the U.S. Route 220 exit and follow Route 220 south to U.S. Route 460. Take Route 460 east to the intersection of State Route 24, which is just past the village of Appomattox. Take the State Route 64 East exit. The museum is on the left, at 159 Horseshoe Rd. Turn left onto Horseshoe Road for parking. The museum is less than two miles south of the entrance to Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, which is well marked.
* Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Closed New Year's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Closes early on Christmas Eve.
* Phone: 1-855-649-1861
* Website: www.moc.org (click on "Visit Us," then click on "Appomattox Museum.")
* Admission: Adults, $10; seniors 62 and older, $8; youth 7-13, $6
* Best times to visit: "Schools don't like to go on field trips on Monday," said Linda Lipscomb, site director. In the summer, Wednesday is the least busy day. Weekends are of course busiest. Least-busy time of year: January and February.
* Tip: A typical visitor to the museum should allow at least two hours.
Other Lifestyles Headlines