Treatment for a case of rodenticide exposure will involve decontamination by inducing vomiting at your veterinarian's office and the use of activated charcoal to absorb some chemicals that were not vomited. After this, blood work and fluid therapy will be needed for several days.
If any anticoagulant was ingested, Vitamin K injections will be started, and blood will be tested for clotting factors. If everything goes well, oral Vitamin K will be continued at home for four to six weeks in most cases. Relapses have occurred. Some dogs may even need blood and plasma transfusions to support them until the medicines can do their job.
The prognosis for all dogs that eat a rodenticide is dependent on the type of chemical ingested, the amount they consumed and the amount of time between ingestion and the start of treatment. It takes only a small amount to be fatal to pets.
Prevention of rodenticide exposure is much easier. Try to supervise your pet at all times, especially when you are away from your home. Most importantly, don't keep any rat poison in a place your pet can get to or just don't have any around, period. There are other ways to eradicate rodents that can be as effective and safer for your pets.
I personally believe a cat is the only true organic rodenticide on the market today. It may scratch up your dogs from time to time, but that will never be a fatal condition. I have four cats for that very reason and have never seen a mouse in the house. There are also traps and sticky tape that can work well. The bottom line is to try to avoid any and all rodenticide exposure in your pet.
Send questions for Dr. Allison Dascoli to "Ask the Vet," Charleston Daily Mail, 1001 Virginia St. E., Charleston WV 25301 or email them to askthe...@dailymail.com. Comments or suggestions can be submitted the same way.