If you fancy yourself a burger aficionado, you'll love reading about the drool-worthy finalists for the nation's longest-running and highest-paying burger contest.
Ten lucky cooks from across the country will compete for more than $120,000 in prizes at the Sutter Home "Build a Better Burger Recipe Contest" during a cook-off at the winery in St. Helena, Calif., on May 17. And while winning the $100,000 cash grand prize would be pretty cool, what I wouldn't give to be one of the judges!
Get a load of these creative entries in the beef category:
* Chipotle Bacon Maple Jam Burger with creamy blue cheese and a pear, spinach and hazelnut garnish
* Lone Star Hoss Burger with smoky bacon cheese spread and apricot-onion jam.
* Over-The-Top Truffled Burger with caramelized balsamic onion jam, roasted garlic aioli and goat cheese
* Mexicali Burger with cocoa chili powder, esquites (a Mexican street corn) and pepita crema
* Savory French Toasted Burger with seasoned arugula, bacon-shallot chevre and merlot mustard
And these five finalists will go head-to-head in the alternative category:
* Barbados Tuna Burger with black rum, caramelized oranges and ginger-garlic aioli
* Sour Apple Pork Burger with cheddar cheese, cayenne-apple candied bacon and potato chip-onion haystacks
* Red Lantern Lemongrass-Glazed Chicken Burger with arugula, shiitake mushrooms and sriracha mayo
* German Currywurst Burger with tomato curry-ginger jam, curry-glazed pork skins and a sweet pepper, apple and fennel slaw