Neediest Cases Make a Donation
CHARLESTON, W.Va. - A 54-year-old disabled grandmother brought her two young grandchildren to live with her after their mother was arrested on a domestic violence charge last year.
The father is also in jail, according to a caseworker who knows the family.
Police officers called the grandmother to pick up the two girls, and they came to her home with little more than the clothes on their backs.
"They're adorable little girls," the caseworker said.
The grandmother is struggling to support the family. She receives $698 a month in Supplemental Security Income along with $301 in Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and $295 in food stamps.
This money barely covers expenses and leaves no room for some items the family needs.
The girls, 6 and 3, are sleeping in toddlers' beds they have outgrown, the caseworker said. The sparsely furnished bedroom also lacks a dresser and a small area rug.
"She doesn't have the means to buy new beds," the caseworker said. "She is a good, hardworking lady, and she sacrifices her needs for the needs of the grandchildren."
Make a Donation
1001 Virginia Street East
Charleston, WV 25301
More Neediest Cases
- Case No. 8: Parents regaining custody need beds for young children 12:30 am
- More than $15,000 raised for needy
- Case No. 7: Man paralyzed in vehicle crash needs money for electric stove
- Case No. 6: Grandparents raising six need parts to get vehicle repaired
- Case No. 5: Bed bug infestation leaves man in need of a new mattress
- Case No. 4: Elderly woman needs to replace broken dentures
- Case 3: Recovering mom needs winter clothes for children
- Case 2: Young mother working toward her degree needs hearing aid
- Neediest Cases request your aid
- Case No. 1: Single mother battling cancer in need of support