Neediest Cases Make a Donation
CHARLESTON, W.Va. - This single mom is working hard to make a better life for herself and her children by getting her college degree.
In the meantime, she is struggling.
This resilient woman is 39 and was involved in a domestic violence situation from which she escaped. She now cares for two children aged 3 and 7 while attending classes and working toward a bachelor's degree.
She has tried to find employment that could be juggled with classes and caring for her children, but that has been difficult. Her only income for now is $160 in child support and $504 in food stamps.
The family lives in an older mobile home located on her father's property. They make do, but there are some serious home repair issues that should be taken care of, the family's caseworker said.
A water leak in the shower has caused significant damage behind the wall, under the tub and even out to the floor in the kitchen. Floors are sagging because of it. In addition, she has taped plastic over a broken window and wishes that could be repaired.
Her caseworker estimates that if material could be purchased - plywood, flooring and a new window - her father and area church members could handle the repairs and give this struggling family some much-needed relief.
Needs: $600 for repair materials
Cases published in the Daily Mail's Neediest Cases Appeal have been verified by approved social service agencies. The Daily Mail absorbs the cost of administering the fund. Tax-deductible contributions may be mailed to:
Charleston Daily Mail
Neediest Cases Appeal
1001 Virginia St. E.
Charleston, WV 25301
Make a Donation
1001 Virginia Street East
Charleston, WV 25301
More Neediest Cases
- Case No. 15: Self-sufficient single mother needs new teeth at 24
- All donations appreciated, whether anonymous or not
- Case No. 14: Mother needs basics for her children after fire destroyed house
- Case No. 13: Single mother raising grandchild needs eye exam, glasses
- Specific cases of need often inspire readers to donate
- Case No. 12: Furnishings would help young couple feel proud of home
- Case No. 11: Dentures would help young father improve job prospects
- Case No. 10: Grandmother needs clothes for growing grandchildren
- Donations pour in from Daily Mail readers
- Case No. 9: Furniture would help woman relax after years of hard work