Neediest Cases Make a Donation
This 66-year-old woman suffered the heartache of seeing her only son go to jail and is now in the position of caring for his two children.
The children's mother died four years ago, and the grandmother is their main support financially and emotionally.
She is a widow scraping by on $600 a month in Social Security and $250 in food stamps. The children are 12 and 7.
The grandmother keeps the family's two-bedroom rental home spotless and manages to have food on the table, including occasional treats such as cupcakes, the family's caseworker said.
Her portion of her subsidized rent is $250 a month, plus electric, gas and water. The family has a television, but cable is a luxury they can't afford.
The grandchildren are provided with warm beds, enough food and lots of love.
"The grandmother is such a loving person," a caseworker said. "She wants them to have a good education. She attends all the meetings at school."
While she faces many challenges, one of the greatest is clothing for two growing children, especially after stretching her meager income to pay for the basics.
Make a Donation
1001 Virginia Street East
Charleston, WV 25301
More Neediest Cases
- Specific cases of need often inspire readers to donate
- Case No. 12: Furnishings would help young couple feel proud of home Updated: 10:16 am
- Case No. 11: Dentures would help young father improve job prospects
- Case No. 10: Grandmother needs clothes for growing grandchildren
- Donations pour in from Daily Mail readers
- Case No. 9: Furniture would help woman relax after years of hard work
- Case No. 8: Parents regaining custody need beds for young children
- More than $15,000 raised for needy
- Case No. 7: Man paralyzed in vehicle crash needs money for electric stove
- Case No. 6: Grandparents raising six need parts to get vehicle repaired