Neediest Cases Make a Donation
This 66-year-old woman suffered the heartache of seeing her only son go to jail and is now in the position of caring for his two children.
The children's mother died four years ago, and the grandmother is their main support financially and emotionally.
She is a widow scraping by on $600 a month in Social Security and $250 in food stamps. The children are 12 and 7.
The grandmother keeps the family's two-bedroom rental home spotless and manages to have food on the table, including occasional treats such as cupcakes, the family's caseworker said.
Her portion of her subsidized rent is $250 a month, plus electric, gas and water. The family has a television, but cable is a luxury they can't afford.
The grandchildren are provided with warm beds, enough food and lots of love.
"The grandmother is such a loving person," a caseworker said. "She wants them to have a good education. She attends all the meetings at school."
While she faces many challenges, one of the greatest is clothing for two growing children, especially after stretching her meager income to pay for the basics.
Make a Donation
1001 Virginia Street East
Charleston, WV 25301
More Neediest Cases
- More than $15,000 raised for needy 12:30 am
- Case No. 7: Man paralyzed in vehicle crash needs money for electric stove 12:30 am
- Case No. 6: Grandparents raising six need parts to get vehicle repaired
- Case No. 5: Bed bug infestation leaves man in need of a new mattress
- Case No. 4: Elderly woman needs to replace broken dentures
- Case 3: Recovering mom needs winter clothes for children
- Case 2: Young mother working toward her degree needs hearing aid
- Neediest Cases request your aid
- Case No. 1: Single mother battling cancer in need of support