LOGAN, W.Va. -- An animal hospital may be the latest victim in a string of arsons plaguing the city of Logan.
Logan firefighters were called early Sunday to Knowles Animal Hospital on Stratton Street where an explosion was said to have occurred. The fire was contained to the second floor of the structure, said Dr. Linda Knowles, who owns the hospital with her husband, Charles. Both are veterinarians.
Six animals -- three dogs and three cats -- were inside the building at the time of the fire. Firefighters were able to rescue all of the animals and get them to safety. Knowles said the firefighters did an "awesome job" in rescuing the animals and extinguishing the fire.
Knowles said the firefighters "suspected arson" had been the cause of the blaze.
"I don't see how someone could do that," she said. "There were animals in there."
The animals were being kept at Knowles' home and at the homes of their employees until other arrangements could be made.
The couple lives in Chapmanville and runs the hospital in Logan and another in Williamson. They also have a clinic in Gilbert. They bought the Stratton Street building, which at one point had been the area Boy Scouts office, and opened the hospital in 1990, Knowles said.
They used the second floor for storage mostly, she said, opting to run their hospital on the first floor. A concrete floor separated the two levels, she said.
Knowles said to her knowledge the fire started on the second floor and never reached the first floor, which sustained mostly smoke and water damage. Fire burned through part of the roof and destroyed all of the items, including an x-ray machine, stored on the second floor.