CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Classes went on as scheduled Wednesday at Clay County High School, despite a small fire in the building Tuesday night.
The fire broke out about 8 p.m. in the computer lab in the vocational section of the school, said Danny Brown, assistant superintendent of Clay County Schools.
The school experienced power outages on Tuesday, he said. The power blinked on and off several times before going completely out.
A circuit that had several items plugged into it overloaded when the power came back on Tuesday night, Brown said, igniting a small electrical fire that spread to a shelf holding books and other paper items.
The school's fire alarm went off, and two emergency responders immediately drove to the school. They were able to keep the fire under control with fire extinguishers until the fire department arrived, he said.
"The fire department was able to finish everything up," Brown said.
The fire and the water used to extinguish the flames caused some damage in the lab. A few nearby rooms also sustained smoke damage, Brown said.
"There's quite a bit of computer equipment in there that we'll probably have to dispose of," he said.
However, the fire did not keep children from their books on Wednesday. The fire marshal inspected the academic section of the building and gave the green light for class to be held, Brown said.
The school is made up of two major wings -- a vocational section and an academic section -- connected by a breezeway.
Students who would normally spend their time in the vocational section of the building were taking classes in empty rooms in the academic section, Brown said.
Spaces such as the cafeteria, the library and the auditorium were also put to use, he said.
The vocational section of the building was built before state building codes required a sprinkler system, Brown said. He wasn't sure when the vocational section would reopen.
"We're just really happy that this wasn't a lot worse," he said.