Police have found the owner of a suspicious-looking backpack that was left at the Marriott on Tuesday morning, a situation that closed off a portion of downtown Charleston as bomb squad officers evaluated it for a possible threat.
Sgt. Eric Hodges of the Charleston Police Department said the man was interviewed after he was identified, and told them that he had left the bag at the hotel for safekeeping, since he didn't think it would be safe where he was going.
When he returned a short time later to get the bag, police had already responded to the hotel and had blocked off and cleared the area.
Hodges said that because no crime was committed, the man's name will not be released.