CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Nine parents were sentenced in Kanawha Circuit Court Wednesday for their children's excessive school absences.
All were charged with first offense truancy because their children had five or more unexcused missed days. The nine students involved were absent between 11 and 29 1/2 days.
Arrest warrants were issued for five mothers who failed to show up after being summoned to court to answer the charges. They are: Janice Darby, Jessica L. Abshire, Leigha Schmitt, Raven Daniels and Charlotte Hicks.
Those who pleaded guilty were:
* Diana Burdette, who has an 8-year old at Flynn Elementary who missed 18 days
* Jennifer Saunders, who has a 10-year-old at Flynn Elementary who missed 28 days
* Nicole Woods, who has a 7-year-old at Andrews Heights Elementary who missed 13 days
* Michelle McMillion, who has a 9-year-old at Belle Elementary who missed 11 days
* Kristin Johnson, who has a 6-year-old at Grandview Elementary who missed 12 days