CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A member of the Sissonville volunteer fire department sustained minor injuries while responding to a house fire in Kanawha County early Monday morning.
The blaze occurred about 3:30 a.m. at the home of Daniel Baird in the 3400 block of Coopers Creek Road.
A Kanawha County dispatcher said firefighters had concluded the fire began on the front porch and spread to the attic.
The home's ceiling collapsed, briefly trapping one of the firefighters. He escaped and was able to walk to the ambulance on his own.
When the fire began, three adults and an 18-month-old baby were asleep in the house.
Braid's adult son, his wife and their baby escaped the house by jumping out of a window. Braid ran through the burning house and left through the front door.
Braid told firefighters that he had fire insurance, but didn't think it would cover the entire cost of the damages.